MV

MV

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

MDI Marathon

This blog starts with the finishing of my first marathon...

On 10/16/2011, I completed my first marathon (MDI marathon) running through beautiful scenery at a comfortable pace.  I finished in 4:07:07 which is a little slower than my goal, but to me it was a very satisfying experience to run 26.2 miles along with one thousand other finishers.

There is the usual wall at mile 21, but the feeling of being so close to the finish line is what carries you through cramps.

I have been running regularly since April 2004, for fun, and health. I have run several races and I am a below average runner.  But being an elite runner is not my goal... my goal is to enjoy the experience.

Attached is my picture 100 feet from finish line.
It was a windy day, but unusually warm for Bar Harbor.  I had headwind most of the way, and the course was challenging because of the hills, some of which were after the "wall".

MDI is an excellent marathon though. You run through parts of Acadia National Park, which in my opinion is the most scenic place in Northeast (If not East).
The supporters were excellent, and there was water and Gatorade every 2 miles, well staffed with volunteers. They offered Gu Gels at mile 16 which I tried for the first time.  More on Gu Gels later.

I started training for the race, 18 weeks ago in June, with a plan on a spreadsheet.

My next marathon is going to be Boston Marathon.
I live in Boston Metro West and it will be very convenient. However, I will have to raise money for a charity because my PR does not qualify me for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment