MV

MV

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Boston Marathon

Today I got accepted to a charity entry for Boston Marathon. So I am running the 2012 Boston Marathon Yaaaaay!!!

The application process was quite simple.  You have to find a charity that you like, and then apply on their website.

I applied to two charities.
1. Dana Farber Cancer Institute
2. Boston Medical Center
Dana Farber accepted my application today.  This gives me a chance to raise money for a charity that treats cancer patients.

Cancer can devastate people of all ages, in all healths, and there are no social boundaries (think Steve Jobs, and Lance Armstrong).
 
My mother died of cancer when I was ten years old. This gives me a chance to raise money to help people and families, as I can relate to the suffering they might be going through. Cancer was a death sentence when my mother died, today its very curable. Thanks to all the research.

I need to raise $4000, but I will try to raise more. Plus I get to run the most prestigious marathon.

I have not heard from BMC yet, but I feel the decision is close. Sadly, I will have to reject their offer if they make one.  BMC is an excellent medical organization.  I was amazed to hear that they treat patients regardless of their ability to pay.  This is so important in the tough financial times we are going through these days.

I am just about done with my week long rest from my last marathon. I will start running again, while the proper spreadsheet based training starts in December.

Training for a marathon in winter will be a challenge. Think about cold weather, kids coming home with all sorts of viruses, and short days. But challenges is all we live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment