MV

MV

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flying Over Boston

Last week I took Zain to flying.
The goal was to explore Logan's Class-B airspace. I wanted to navigate around it, but to my surprise, the Boston approach cleared me through the Logan airspace, directly over Boston.  We were treated to some great views of the city and the Logan airport, on a clear, sunny day.
The plan was to fly at 3000 feet from Lawrence to Bedford to Norwood, and land at Playmouth, then head back over the same route.

I do not have a good camera for aerial photography so took all the pictures using my cell phone.
 
Took some shots at Lawrence airport before climbing into the club Beechcraft Sundowner and heading out.  Here is Zain posing with a Helicopter. 


The outgoing leg was boring as I flew mostly along route 128, flew over Bedford, Norwood, and then landed at Playmouth.


There were some clouds near Playmouth, but clear otherwise. Zain's head is in the frame.
 
Then on the way back, just after taking off from Playmouth, I asked the Boston approach for clearance through class B airspace, and they granted it at 5500.  I was cruising at 5500, the ATC asked, "18Z, you have city in sight?".  Since I could see Boston (although barely), I replied "affirmative, city in sight, 18Z".

Then the fun started, as ATC replied "18Z, fly directly over Boston to Lawrence".  Took some amazing pictures of the city.  The cell phone camera does not do justice to the views we were presented with.

Logan airport runways
Boston
  Another view of the City
City and a Runway

No comments:

Post a Comment