MV

MV

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nantucket and Monomoy

The Island of Nantucket is a bit further East of Martha's Vineyard. It is one of my favorite aerial destinations.  A short trip from Beverly, I usually navigate from over Bedford and Martha's Vineyard.

Buzzard's Bay, and Martha's Vineyard on top of the Picture
Heading from North, I leave the land near New Bedford, over Buzzards Bay, beyond Pasque Island, lies Marthas Vineyard. I like to fly high over water just in case there is an emergency.  Five thousand feet in a Cessna 172 is an adequate height to glide to land.

Muskeget and Nantucket

Barely Above

West Side of Nantucket

West Side, Some Houses Visible

Flying over Martha's Vineyard MVY is no hassle if moving above D airspace. Then I head East, pass over Katama Airpark (1B2), then leave East side of Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket.  I first pass over Muskeget Island, where I start my descent to Nantucket Airport along the South Beach of Nantucket.

Nantucket Airport
A Sandy Beach

Incredible! I Certify.
The khaki under-water dunes and blue-green water creates dazzling combinations of colors and contrasts near the Muskeget Island.  You will also see seals resting on the small Island beaches.


Light House or Fire Station?

Nantucket airport is quite large and well maintained.

Wheel Shot, Take at Nantucket
There are numerous fun activities in Nantucket. Biking, or relaxing on sandy beaches, whatever the day allows.  Food and lodging is on the pricey side.

Taking off from Natucket, I get to Monomoy Island if I leave the North-East edge of the Island. This is my favorite part of the trip. Momonoy Island is tear-drop shaped, un-inhabited (by humans), and full of seal colonies. Depending on your altitude, you might be able to see individual seals.  If you head out in April, then you can also find some whales. I did not find any whales. Before leaving, check the probable positions of whales using real time maps at http://www.listenforwhales.org/Page.aspx?pid=430.

I wish I could land at Monomoy, but even if I could, I would not, and will leave the seals alone in one of their last refuges.

Farrukh Usman took these pictures using Canon 300D with 18-55 kit lens.

Farrukh Usman on Co-pilot Seat


Here are some incredible pictures of North Nantucket and Monomoy:




















No comments:

Post a Comment